Mattresses are the most vulnerable item of furniture because they are often exposed not only to aggressive mechanical stress, but also to various liquids like tea, juices, and even blood get on them, which leads to persistent dirt. In this article, you will read about how to remove blood from a mattress at home using simple and safe household remedies.
How can this type of stain be removed from mattresses?
Talking about how to remove blood from a mattress, it must be said that this type of stain is removed only with cold water. According to specialists of blood spill cleanup service st Louis Missouri and other professional services, upon contact with warm and hot liquids, the blood coagulates, as a result of which the “adhesion” to the tissue increases and forms an indelible stain. If biological fluid gets on the mattress, you should do the following:
- dampen a natural cloth with cold water, blot the stain gently, but don’t rub it. By the way, the solution will be a lot more effective if you replace still water with sparkling water;
- blot the stain again with a dry napkin;
- prepare a saline solution (2 tsp. salt per 1 glass of cold water), and apply it from a spray bottle to the contaminated area;
- spray the saline solution again after 15 minutes and then gently blot the stain until the tissue is no longer stained.
Experts of blood spill cleanup service st Louis Missouri recommend blotting the bloodstain gently. You should blot from the edges to the center, otherwise, the area of the contamination may increase by 2-3 times. It is advisable to order dry cleaning of mattresses from blood spill cleanup service st Louis Missouri to have your mattress professionally cleaned. Also, you can try using the methods listed below.
The experts of blood spill cleanup service st Louis Missouri state that household blood stain removal does not guarantee excellent results. Improper use of such remedies and chemicals can lead to allergies, and incomplete removal of moisture – to the fungus, mold, and musty smell. Apart from the professional cleaning products, the cleaners providing blood spill cleanup service st Louis Missouri choose the best cleaning method taking into account the type and composition of the cleaning agent during dry cleaning.
Method 1. Hydrogen peroxide
You can efficiently clean a mattress from blood stains with hydrogen peroxide. Before applying peroxide, a fresh stain must be blotted with a napkin, then proceed as follows:
- take ½ cup cornstarch, ¼ cup hydrogen peroxide, and 1 tbsp. salt, mix the ingredients;
- apply this mixture to the stain using a toothbrush or a spoon;
- let it dry completely, and then carefully remove it;
- vacuum the mattress.
Method 2. Dishwashing liquid.
To prepare the solution, you will need the following components:
- 1 tsp. dishwashing liquid;
- 1 tbsp. cold water.
Mix the ingredients to make foam, take a toothbrush and apply the foam to the stain, and blot it with a dry sponge.
Now you know how to remove blood stains from a mattress. However, if it is impossible to clean the product on your own, then immediately contact the blood spill cleanup service st Louis Missouri or other professionals near you. The specialists will remove not only blood but urine, dust, dust mites, and all other types of contaminants that are typical for mattresses.